Monday, November 23, 2009

Fall Update

Hello to all! I hope you have not given up hope on our engagement blog. We have been super slackers about writing in it. Part of the reason being we are both so busy. Therefore, I decided to write what I would like to put on the blog through an e mail to myself when I am not busy at work. I thought I would have time to do so the other night when I worked on the mommy/baby unit but I was wrong! There were 4 regular births with an extra 2 C-sections that arrived one after the other. However tonight, I was sent to Levine Children’s Hospital to sit in a room with a little boy that kept trying to pull his IV out... so since the little precious thing is fast asleep I have plenty of time to write.
I don’t even know where to start. I think the last time that either of us wrote was when we went camping. It is a few days before Thanksgiving and we have an empty, boring blog. Now that it is Holiday season that means the wedding is getting closer and I am getting more and more excited.
With my new job I meet a lot of new people… which include a lot girls my age or a little older. I get asked numerous questions about Peter and I, how we met, the engagement, the wedding, anything you can think of involving a wedding. I knew girls were wedding crazy but I did realize like this. It makes me feel special though (not that I don’t already) just neat that people I have just met are so interested in our story. Last week, I worked for the second night on the same floor, so I was getting to know the girls better. By the end of the shift I think every person working on the unit was sitting in the nurse’s station, wide eyed after hearing the proposal story. A few times I would walk by, “Oh, We were just talking about you and your wedding and how cute it all is”. Brides to be can become quite popular around other girls their age. One of the questions that always come up is… how is the planning going… is it stressful? I find it funny; hearing about wedding planning the word stress always seems to be in the middle. They seem to find it interesting when I say…no not really. I mean, really, the most stressful thing was searching for a photographer, and it wasn’t even that bad…just time consuming. I think when people imagine planning their wedding they see it consuming their life, in a more stressful way. When I look back at being engaged I want to remember it as an enjoyable time. And who knows maybe that is foreshadowing… a low stress engagement might mean a low stress marriageJ. My cousin told me that the planning would go through phases. Some weeks would be spent doing a lot of planning, and some spent doing none. Call me crazy but I like a busy atmosphere so I have somewhat been looking forward to the craziness of the whole thing. Right now I would say we are in a planning phase. We wanted to get our save-the-dates out by October but its not big deal that it didn’t happen right then. We just ordered everything (envelopes, pictures, and adhesive magnets) and are getting ready to put them together then send them. At the same time (thanks to Peter’s mom and her wonderful friends) we are also working on the reception. It’s actually a lot of fun!
A few weeks ago after my grandfather passed away Brittany and I went to Greensboro to spend Veterans Day with my Grandmother and she said that putting flower arrangements together had been her therapy. We ended up going to Old Time Pottery to look at flowers for the bouquets and boy was I in for a lesson. I learned that there was such thing as formal flowers and wild flowers and they do not go well together. She used to work at a florist so I took her word for it and ended up just picking out a color I liked (fuscia pink) and she went from there. She informed me that even though we already have lot of flowers, with all my bridesmaids and table arrangements that we would need tons more. So that Friday my mom and I went to the Old Time Pottery in Charlotte trying to grab the last of the summer flowers. We sure did get some looks when we were the only people in the store buying a cart full of pink summer flowers when everyone else had on thing on their mind... CHRISTMAS! I am sure though, after Christmas we will start doing a lot more planning.
On another note, I am so ready to get our engagement pictures done. We haven’t been able to find a good weekend to meet with our photographer. Football has been number one on the list this fall, and with Peter working a lot of the home games, there haven’t been a whole lot of weekends open. I am hoping that by the beginning of January we are able to get them done. I love having pictures for memories and can’t wait to have professional ones of us.
Well out of a 364 day engagement we now have 216 left ( I know this thanks to the countdown on facebook) Hope you are all getting as excited as we are and I promise to not be so slack about keeping up with the blog for the next 216 days!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!! Thanks for the update..we will look forward to more posts and definitely look forward to the engagement pictures!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for updating!!! I love reading about my children! My wedding was not stressful either because, like you, I wasn't as concerned about the details...I just wanted to be Mrs. Sheridan!!!! and it was gorgeous and yours will be too! Lauralan will call you soon. Can't wait for you to hear their ideas!!

    ReplyDelete